Thursday 5 June 2014

Slow Cooked Roast Beef with Mushroom and Red Wine Gravy

I had this lovely Beef Topside Roast, and had no idea what to do with it.

I have never really been a roast cooker. I always found it intimidating, and my Mum was such great cook and roast was her specialty. So I avoided them. I let Muddled Hubby cook them from time to time, and he is a great cook too, but not me.

I decided to tackle this head on. Take my Slow Cooker Challenge to the next level and do a Slow Cooked Roast.

I started exploring for a recipe I knew the family would like. I searched my favourite Facebook pages, my favourite websites, then more widely, google. Nothing. Nothing jumped out at me and said "THIS is your recipe". So I decided since I was tackling a roast, I may as well tackle the idea of creating my own recipe!

I know, from past casseroles and meals that red wine and mushrooms make a good base, so, without further rambling on my part, here is my VERY FIRST own recipe creation!!

Slow Cooked Roast Beef with Mushroom and Red Wine


Topside Roast around 1.2kg 
1 cup beef stock (I made my stock stronger than normal, using 1 1/2 times the amount of stock powder for a stronger flavour)
1/4-1/2 cup Red Wine. (I used 1/2 cup and found it a little too much, but its a personal thing!)
1 tin crushed tomatoes
1 brown onion sliced into rings
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp coriander
2-3 tsp crushed garlic
1 tsp basil
1 tsp paprika
2/3 cup mushrooms

Sauce 
1/2 the juices in the slow cooker
4 heaped tsp of beef gravy powder
2 tbs corn flour

Line base of slow cooker with onion rings and place roast on top.
Coat with spices. You could add more or less, depending on how strong you like your flavours to be.
Add crushed tomatoes, red wine and the beef stock.


Cook on high for 3 hours. Turn meat over and cook for a further 2 hours on high. 
Remove approx 1/2 the liquid in the cooker. The liquid will increase during cooking time due to the moisture in the slow cooker. Once liquid is removed, add mushrooms and cook for a further hour.
Remove meat and allow to rest while making gravy


Using remaining juices in the slow cooker, add gravy powder and corn flour and whisk until thick and creamy. Add more corn flour if needed.



Serve with oven roasted vegetables.

Hopefully your family enjoys as much as mine did! 

No comments:

Post a Comment