Friday 23 May 2014

Sweet Lamb Curry Casserole

So here is my first recipe. This started as a recipe from a Facebook page Slow Cooker Recipes 4 Families, but turned into my own. I didn't have some of the ingredients, so I improvised, and then added a few of my own flavours to make it a richer, tastier casserole. 

The family all went back for seconds (and maybe thirds) so I think it was pretty tasty! Even Mini Miss Fussy Britches (yes, occasionally I like to use old fashioned words!) ate some! And there is plenty left over for freezing, turning into pie (a favourite use of left over casseroles for me!) or even having again for dinner tomorrow night so its one less thing to think about tomorrow! 



Sweet Lamb Curry Casserole


  • 500-750 grams Lamb diced
  • 4 potatoes
  • 2 sweet potatoes
  • 2 carrots
  • 2 zucchini
  • 1 cup broccoli
  • 8-10 mushrooms
  • 1 brown onion diced
  • 1 tin corn kernels 
  • 1 tin tomatoes (I used Italian flavoured tomatoes)
  • 1 Tbsp Honey
  • decent splash of lemon juice
  • 1-1.5 tsp curry powder (to your own taste)
  • 2 tsp garlic (I use minced, but you could also use 2 cloves of fresh garlic)
  • 1/2 tsp Turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp Cumin
  • 1 tsp Oregano
  • garlic and herb salt
  • 1/2 - 1 cup of Beef Stock (I use Vegata as it is gluten free)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • extra virgin olive oil 
  1. Turn slow cooker onto high to heat. Put potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms and corn in slow cooker bowl while it heats up.
  2. Brown lamb in a little olive oil and coat with curry and garlic and herb salt while cooking. Put into slow cooker.
  3. Add a little more olive oil, add onions and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes until onions turn translucent. Put into slow cooker.
  4. Sprinkle turmeric, cumin and oregano into slow cooker. Add honey and lemon juice.
  5. Add tomatoes and mix thoroughly.
  6. Add enough stock to cover and cook on high for 4 hours, then for a further 2-4 hours on low, stirring occasionally.
  7. Take off lid in last hour and add 1 Tbs of corn flour if needed to thicken sauce.
  8. Serve with rice, or just with warm crusty bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment